Posted 6 months ago
Steve Schoger Interview
Hi Steve thanks for taking the time to chat with Signl. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Thanks for having me! I’m a multidisciplinary designer from Kitchener, Ontario (about a 100km from Toronto).
Many people know me for my hot design tips I share on Twitter. They are a collection of bit-size UI design tips to help developers. I try to publish one every week. Currently, I work part-time for Tighten, part-time for Taylor Otwell and part-time on side-projects / other freelance gigs. It’s a 3 week cycle with each getting a week at a time.
Walk us through your typical day?
Average day might look something like this:
- 7 - 7:30 Wake up, walk dog
- 7:30 - 8:30 Prepare and eat breakfast / Spend time with wife and baby
- 8:30 - 9 Move to basement office. Drink Coffee / Check email / Browse the internet (Twitter/Reddit/Dribbble)
- 9 - 12 Work
- 12 - 1 Lunch
- 1 - 5:30 Work
- 5:30 - 6:30 Dinner. Sometimes I prepare dinner. If not, I’m spending time with my baby girl.
- 6:30 - 7:30 Spend time with family. Prepare baby for bed.
- 7:30 - 9 If baby gets to sleep with little fuss I’m spending time with my wife. If she’s fussy, I’ll sit in the nursery and listen to an audiobook.
- 9 - 11 wife goes to bed around 9 but I usually stay up a bit later and go back to my office to work on side projects till 11
Are there any websites you look at every day and why?
Dribbble for inspiration. Twitter and Reddit are usually my gateway to the rest of the internet. I usually have 40 tabs open at one time.
What tools could you not live without?
Sketch and Spotify.
What would you say is your strongest skill and how have you honed that skill over the years?
UI Graphic Design is definitely my core strength and I leverage that by also working on many complimentary skills like product design, illustration and front-end development.
What are you passionate about besides your work?
Music. Wanted to be a rockstar when I was in high school. Still produce music as a hobby but I barely have time for that.
What type of projects do you enjoy working on the most?
Usually, the ones that don’t pay the bills 😅
I also enjoy doing marketing land pages because they allow me to utilize most of my complimentary skills
Who do you think is doing good things in the design industry right now?
Dann Petty, Marc Hemeon and Erik Kennedy
What’s the best piece of advice you have heard and repeat to others?
Surround yourself with extraordinary people and you’ll do just fine in life.
And finally, what tips would you give to anybody who is looking to get started in design?
“Don’t try to be original, just try to be good” - Paul Rand